Write a 175- to 265-word response to the following questions:
Today healthcare research is heavily regulated and scrutinized to ensure that all studies are conducted in an ethical manner that respects the rights and welfare of the study participants. However, these rules and regulations have not always been in place. Sadly, there have been many examples in the past of research studies that were horribly unethical.
- What impact have these unethical studies of the past had on current healthcare research? Examples of unethical studies from the past include the Tuskegee Syphilis Study and the atrocities of the Nazis during World War II.
- What have healthcare researchers learned from these past atrocities, and what safeguards are in place now to prevent them from happening again?
- Please use the links below to learn about important ethical principles that must guide healthcare research at all times.
- ***Note: The question is asking about ethics in healthcare research studies, not patient care. Please keep your answers focused on ethics in research.
- Be sure to include at least one scholarly reference, such as the textbook to support your answers.