A pathogen is a biological agent that causes illness or disease to its host. Emerging means newly discovered or newly appearing in humans or newly appearing in a distinctly different geographic area. Therefore, Emerging Pathogens or Emerging Infectious Diseases are those which have been discovered recently, within the last 10-30 years.
According to the World Health Organization (WHO) an emerging disease is one that has occurred in a population for the first time or may have existed previously but is rapidly increasing in the number of new cases or geographic range.
This week, we will examine some emerging pathogens and diseases!
Include the word count in each of your posts (exclude the header, title, references list, etc.).
- For your main discussion post (first post).
- You must choose from among the emerging human pathogens below.
- It is required of all students to reserve their discussion topic using the following procedure:
- Click Week 3 Discussion, above, to enter the Discussion.
- Click Create Threadand type the number and scientific name of the organism you will discuss in the subject line to reserve your topic on a first come/first serve basis according to the classroom date/time stamp. Repeat main posts on the same organism are not permitted.
- To post your main discussion you will reply to your topic intent post.
For the cellular organisms listed below, you need to start the first letter of the genus name with a capital letter and write all letters in the species name in lowercase letters and italicize both the genus and species names.
For the acellular organisms listed below, start the first letter of the common name/species name of the virus with a capital letter. Do not italicize the common name/species name of the virus. You do not need to include the family and genus names of the virus in your posts. D. You must discuss your chosen human pathogen to tell us what type of microbe it is, what disease it causes, why the disease is emerging or re-emerging, signs and symptoms, course of disease, treatment, and prevention.
E. Your discussion should be well-written, in your own words, paraphrasing from only credible academic sources. You may not directly quote from your sources, minimum elaboration on the topic of a minimum of 300 words and maximum of 400 words.
F. You must also cite your credible academic reference sources with parenthetical in-text citations and provide full end ref information in APA 7th Editionformat.
****Topic: 15. Hepatitis C virus*****