1. This Unit 7 Assignment is a research and writing assignment, so there is no template into which you should insert your answers. Instead, create a new document.
2. Unless specified differently by your course instructor, save your completed assignment to your computer with the following file naming format: Course number_section number_Last name_First name_unit number.
3. On your cover page, include the appropriate information: Your Name, Course Number and Section (BU204 â€“ Section 0x), and the Date.
4. The research paper should follow standard APA format with a title page, the body of text in double-spaced paragraph format, with citations to sources, and a reference page. The text should be in Standard English with correct spelling, punctuation, grammar, and style (Times New Roman, 12-point, black font).
5. Respond to the questions in a thorough manner, providing specific examples of concepts, topics, definitions, and other elements asked for in the questions. Your answers should be highly organized, logical, and focused.
6. Any questions about the assignment, or format questions, should be directed to your course instructor.
This assignment deals with international macroeconomics and the importance of cultural diversity. This is a two-part assignment consisting of research skills to identify relevant information, and your analysis based on the information you located.
This assignment assesses your knowledge of the following Course Outcomes:BU204-5: Examine how exports, imports, the balance of payments, and capital flows impact individual national economics and global economics.
GEL-1.02: Demonstrate college-level communication through the composition of original materials in Standard English.
GEL-6.05: Adapt research skills to discover and sort relevant sources to complete tasks.
PC-4.1: Assess the value of multiculturalism and diversity in a global environment.
In this assignment, you will choose an economically advanced country and a developing country, and will assume the role as an assistant researcher who is tasked with conducting a detailed study of how the different international trade situations and the differing cultural diversity produces the observable disparities between these two countries.
Your research must be detailed and presented in a minimum of a 4-page research paper.
The first half of your paper will describe, how you determined what data to collect, the sources of that data, how you sorted that data, the time periods that the data describes, and how you chose to analyze the data.
The second half of your paper will focus on your resulting conclusions regarding the differences between the two countries you chose. In addition, include your analysis of the cultural, social, and political diversity between these two cultures, and how these differences contribute to the economic differences you found based on specific evidence from the data you collected.
Using World Bank data, conduct research to determine how economically different the two countries, that you chose, are by examining and comparing economic and social indicators, such as the following, for the year 2015. Include the data that you collected as an appendix to your final report.
GDP (constant 2010 US$)
GDP per capita (constant 2010 US$)
Exports of goods and services (constant 2010 US$)
Imports of goods and services (constant 2010 US$)
External balance on goods and services (current US$)
External balance on goods and services (% of GDP)
Population, female (% of total population)
Population, male (% of total population)
Rural population (% of total population)
Urban population (% of total population)
Life expectancy at birth, female (years)
Life expectancy at birth, male (years)
Employment to population ratio, 15+, total (%) (modeled ILO estimate)
Employment to population ratio, 15+, male (%) (modeled ILO estimate)
Employment to population ratio, 15+, female (%) (modeled ILO estimate)
Individuals using the Internet (% of population)
Adolescent fertility rate (births per 1,000 women ages 15-19)
Prevalence of undernourishment (% of population)
Then, expand your research into the cultural differences, including political structure, average education, and social influences, to determine why these two countries are so different.
The following additional resources may help you to familiarize yourself with how multiculturalism and diversity play a significant role in aiding economic growth and development.
Arocena, F., & Porzecanski, R. (n.d.). Ethnic inequality, multiculturalism and globalization: The cases of Brazil, Bolivia and Peru . http://www.multiculturalismoenuruguay.com/Docs/Articulos/IJCSArocena.pdf
Fensham, P. (2017). Planning in Australia: Economic benefits of cultural diversity . https://www.sgsep.com.au/publications/insights/economic-benefits-of-cultural-diversity
Kivoto, E. (n.d.). Ethnic conflict and its impact on economic development in Africa: A case study of Kenya .http://www.academia.edu/11302119/ETHNIC_CONFLICT_AND_ITS_IMPACT_ON_ECONOMIC_DEV ELOPM ENT_IN_AFRICA_A_CASE_STUDY_OF_KENYA
Also, read the below from the Purdue Global Library:
Donnelly, R. (2015). Tensions and challenges in the management of diversity and inclusion in IT services multinationals in India. Human Resource Management, 54(2), 199â€“215.
Part 1: Research
You will need to locate one or more scholarly articles from the Purdue Global Library that will help you to analyze factors that determine the disparities of economic growth among countries. The article(s) should provide you with information to answer Part 2 of your assignment. You will write about the process you went through to locate your article(s), thoroughly covering the topics below.
You must follow the following criteria for your research:
- Explain how your search terms were refined.
- Identify your choice of databases (for example: EBSCO or ProQuest ABI/Inform).
- Identify the range of dates used.
- Identify the experts.
- Identify how you sorted the relevant topics.
Locating scholarly articles:
Scholarly articles must be current and of high quality. These include peer-reviewed academic articles, articles published in journals, and other library resources found in the Purdue Global Library.
How to access the ABI/Inform database, selecting peer-reviewed journal articles:
- Locate the Library link from Academic Tools.
- Scroll midway down the page and locate â€œProQuest ABI/Inform Collection.â€
- Make sure â€œFull textâ€ and â€œPeer Reviewedâ€ are checked.
- Enter your key word(s) in the search area and select the search button.
- Under Source Type, select Scholarly Journals.
In Course Resources under Course Documents, you will find an interactive tutorial on â€œHow to Access the ABI/Inform Databaseâ€ to learn more on how to access and search using the database along with additional resources.
Part 2: Conclusions
Based on the articles provided and the research you conducted using the Library and Internet, identify key factors that determine long-term economic growth by comparing two different countries of your choice. One advanced economy such as England, Canada, Germany, etc., and the other country is considered a developing economy, such as Angola, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, etc.
Explain how economically different the two countries are, by examining at least five different economic indicators, such as gross domestic product, gross domestic product per person, exports, imports, the balance of payments, and the differences in at least three of their social indicators, such as population, population per square kilometer, etc. Then, expand your research into the cultural differences, including political structure, average education, and social influences, to determine why these two countries are so different economically.
Directions for Submitting Your Assignment
Before you submit your assignment, you should save your work on your computer with a file name that is specified in item 1 of the General Instructions. When you are ready, you may submit to the Unit 7 Assignment Dropbox. PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO ATTACHMENT FOR ASSIGNMENT